Our Priorities & Commitments
We're proud members of 1% For the Planet. We donate 1% of our sales to environmental nonprofits.
We want to provide you with all the things you need to live a life with as little plastic as possible.
The story of why plastic is bad for the environment, for us as individuals, and for every other living thing on this planet is a long one involving the harmful effects of fracking, pollution resulting from the manufacturing process, the toxic chemicals we interact with when we use it, and its immensely wasteful, ineffective, and ultimately destructive disposal. Can you tell we’re fired up about this? For more details, check out our blog post on “7 Reasons to (Seriously) Consider A Low Waste Lifestyle.”
We knew from the very beginning that we wanted local to be front and center for our brand in order to reduce waste from carbon emissions and support our communities, which is why we’ve prioritized sourcing from vendors who are based and ship as close to home as we can get while still meeting our quality standards. (We live in Portland, OR and San Diego, CA and ship from San Diego.)
Clean, Non-Toxic Ingredients
We want you to be able to use all of the products we carry without having to worry whether or not any of the ingredients are safe for you. We strive to use organic, botanically based, effective products with no harmful or unsustainable ingredients like petrolatum, paraffin, parabens, phthalates, BHA, BHT, EDTA, formaldehyde, or talc.
We want you to know everything there is to know about the products you’re buying, including the ingredients and origins, so you can be sure you’re making a purchase that fits your needs and values.
Low Waste Above All Else
Our goal is to avoid selling you something you don’t need at the expense of our environment. We believe doing the right thing is good business.
Positivity for All
Eco-guilt is real and easy to feel. We are not asking for perfection. We know how difficult it is in our modern world to make sure every single thing we’re doing is the most ethical or sustainable option. We struggle with it too! We are all about encouraging and supporting you whether you remembered to ask for no straw or not because guilt is not sustainable!
How We Prioritize Materials & Packaging
- No Packaging — nothing to throw away.
- Recycled Paper/Cardboard — No raw materials required, recyclable and biodegradable.
- Recycled Aluminum — No raw materials used, infinitely recyclable (and valuable to recyclers), and uses less carbon emissions than glass to ship to you.
- Recycled Glass — No raw materials used, infinitely recyclable, easy to reuse.
- Bamboo — Sustainable material because it grows really quickly, is self-regenerating, and requires little to no additional resources like fertilizer. Also produces more oxygen and absorbs more carbon dioxide than other trees.
- Virgin Aluminum — Still requires raw material extraction, but is infinitely recyclable and valuable to recyclers. Also easy to reuse.
- Virgin Glass — Infinitely recyclable and easy to reuse.
- FSC Certified Paper/Cardboard — Responsibly farmed trees, recyclable and biodegradable.
- Bio-based Plastic — Uses fewer harmful raw ingredients than plastic, but can’t be recycled and can only be composted with high heat in industrial facilities. Contaminates standard recycling if mixed in. Some bio-based plastics are made from low-impact plant materials like bamboo. Their production process can be less resource-intensive than steel and glass. For this reason, they can be excellent options for durable goods (items that are meant to be used for years).
- Recycled Plastic — Uses no raw materials, promotes recycling of plastic, but is limited in recyclability.
- Virgin plastic — We’d really only consider this for small elements like bottle caps or spray nozzles for containers we’d hope you’d reuse. If you end up with something you can't reuse that is also not curbside recyclable, please send it back to us and we'll recycle it via Terracycle.
See our post on A Packaging Hierarchy: For When Zero’s Not an Option for more info on this topic.