The holidays are near, and we came up with literally 100 ideas for thoughtful, sustainable, and creative gifts for every single friend in your group (not to mention these other guides for ideas for your entire family and ways to inspire others to level up their low waste game). There are so many great ways to spread holiday cheer while also sending some love to the small, local, BIPOC, woman, and LGBTQ-owned businesses (including our own biz that just happens to be 100% woman-owned and 50% BIPOC-owned and operated) that need our support to survive and thrive into 2021. Get ready to crush secret Santa with flair this year!
For Your Most Stylish Friend
- Organic Cotton Scrunchies - So they can nail the '90s trend and then compost it when the '90s are over again.
- Highlighter - Cheekbones for days.
- Cotton Laundry Bag - So they can keep all those cool, delicates in tip-top shape in the wash.
- Lip Paint - Never caught without a bold lip.
- Sweater Stone - To keep those threads pill-free!
- Clothes Drying Rack - Hang drying makes clothes last longer and saves energy!
- Point them in the direction of timeless, closed-loop, zero waste tees and other basics from For Days.
- Share a gift card to your favorite local vintage shop or online second hand threads purveyor like ThredUp, Swap, or Etsy. Or spend some time finding them a super cool, one-of-a-kind piece!
- Or support a small, local, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and/or woman-owned boutique or designer!
For the Dude Who’s Facial Hair is Always On Point
- Small Wooden Comb - Keep that 'stache and beard lookin' neat with this Italian made, FSC-certified wooden comb.
- Shave Soap - Perfect for whipping up into a lather with their old timey shaving brush, or just their fingers.
- Aftershave Balm - Because his idea of masculinity is looking sharp and smelling like the forest.
- Butterfly Razor - Just like his grandpa used to shave with, but a little easier.
- Beard Balm - Not a hair out of place.
- Is this also a dude who prides himself on his liquor cabinet? (Seems to be some overlap.) Get them something for their top shelf from your favorite local distillery.
- Or if craft brew is more his thing (and more your budget), grab a 22 oz of a locally brewed, seasonal choice.
For the Friend Who Always Hosts
- Olive Wood Servers - Watch them feelin’ themselves so hard while they toss salads with these babies.
- Upcycled Cotton Placemats - Because you always leave a mess.
- Olive Wood Cheese Grater - So the cheese-obsessed among us can indulge in style!
- Upcycled Cotton Bib Apron - Maybe if you get them this, they'll bake more stuff for you!
- Cloth Napkins - So dinner parties can be cuter AND less wasteful.
- A wine subscription so they always have a bottle for company (or just themselves, they don’t have to share). Some sustainable options featuring organic, small batch, and/or biodynamic, include Plonk, Wine Awesomeness, and Winc.
- Or grab a bottle or send a case of wine from your favorite local winery.
- Get them a gift certificate to their favorite local restaurant!
For the One With an Eye for Beauty, Mostly Their Own
- Lip & Cheek Stain - Easy, breezy, beautiful, and plant-based goodness!
- Pocket Mirror - Give them what they really want!
- Tek Hair Brushes & Combs - Step up their brush game with these FSC-certified, Italian-crafted wooden beauties!
- Earth Surface Primer - They won't even have to check with their skin looking this flawless!
- Moon Milk - Effortless glow with minimal waste? Check!
- Makeup Kabuki Brush - Perfect for powder, highlighter, contouring, blush, and dry shampoo!
- Get them a gift certificate to a local salon!
- Art from empowering female artists like Bria Paints, Renee Staeck, Camille Shu, and Small Adventure.
For Your Friend Who is Very Good at Self-Care
- Earth Oil | Face & Body Oil - Their new favorite product. Period.
- Dry Brush - Make this lymphatic-draining ritual extra satisfying with an olive wood touch.
- Eucalyptus Steam - Could their showers be even more rejuvenating? Yep.
- Linen Washcloth - A gently exfoliating washcloth to replace those disposable makeup remover wipes.
- Reusable Cloth Tea Strainer - Perfect for sipping on loose leaf tea.
- Bath Brush - For the ones who like to get extra with their bubble baths.
- Support a local spa and get them a gift certificate for a massage, acupuncture, or other treatment.
- Some of our favorites: Golden Hour in Portland, OR
- If you’re game, book a session or workshop with your favorite astrologer, Reiki healer, or psychic!
- A gua sha facial tool from Wildling. (Hot tip: Use the code MAYASHEALTHYDAY to get 10% off your next order!)
- Let them drink in the nourishment with Matcha Latte Kit from Golde, Kombucha from Happy Mountain Kombucha, or another local fave.
For Your Friend Who Recently Kicked Their Chef Skills Up a Notch
- Chef's Kit - They'll be cooking up a storm in style in this 5-piece set!
- Citrus Juicer - Pre-juiced fruit is so been there done that.
- Bread Wrap - A beeswax wrap for their latest sourdough.
- Mushroom Brush - For the chef who already has everything, except a mushroom brush.
- Vegetable Crisper Bag - Help them keep all those seasonal veggies fresh!
- Help them turn up the heat with BIPOC-owned sauces and spices. Keep your eyes peeled for plastic-free containers!
- Give them a practical yet elevated kitchen staple like olive oil or apple cider vinegar locally sourced and sustainably produced by a woman-owned business like Pineapple Collaborative.
- Or splurge on beautiful, sustainably-made and long-lasting cookware like Proclamation Goods or Finex Cast Iron Cookware.
For the Friend Who Loves to Share
- Hand & Body Lotion - Anybody have any lotion? Yep, they do.
- Lip Salve - Lip balm? Yep, they have that too.
- Beeswax Wraps - So you can take home some of the cookies they baked without the plastic cling wrap!
- Stainless Steel Straw Kit - No straws, please! My friend brought enough for both of us.
- Eat/Drink Tool Kit - Or utensils! We have like five.
- Organic Cotton Hair Ties - Pay them back with interest for the last hair tie you "borrowed" by getting them this 5-pack of long-lasting and 100% biodegradable hair ties.
- Support a local chocolatier or bakery and get your friend some goodies they don’t have to share for once.
For Someone Who's Always Telling You Something They Heard on a Podcast
- Linen Face Mask - For those who wouldn't be caught dead without a face mask.
- Bamboo Charcoal Water Filter Sticks - The science behind these water filter sticks is very compelling, and they will be compelled.
- Onion Bag - An innovative new way to keep their onions and garlic fresh.
- Guppyfriend Microplastic Washing Bag - They are just as bummed out about microplastics as you are.
- Bamboo Toothbrush - Get them a toothbrush that supports the cause they care about the most.
- Emergency Kit - Because they have told you in horrifying detail about the next natural disaster likely to hit your area, but still haven’t gotten around to putting that kit together.
- Relieve them with a subscription to their local newspaper or another like the New York Times, so they’ll think of you every time they click on an article and don’t get harassed about subscribing.
- Make gifting used books a thing by shopping at Powell’s or donating one from your own collection, or share new books from Bookshop.org, which fulfills from independent/local bookshops and donates 75% of profits to local/independent bookstores or from Better World Books, which funds literacy/education nonprofits to fight global poverty through education.
For the Jetsetter
- Shampoo Powder - No more suitcase explosions with these travel-size powdered shampoos!
- Sage & Rose Face Mist - So they can arrive sans that crusty plane feeling.
- Soap Tin - Skip the hotel soap and BYO Face, Hand & Body Soap.
- Spork & Cork - Avoid the seemingly inevitable onslaught of single-use plastic when traveling.
- Bamboo Toothbrush Case - Perfect for bringing along their bamboo toothbrush of choice!
- Don’t think they’ll be traveling anytime soon? Gift a live virtual tour of a destination they’ve been dreaming of going via Tours by Locals.
- Or encourage them to go on a local staycation with a gift card for Getaway, a local boutique hotel, or AirBnb.
For Your Work Wife/Husband/Partner
- Rich Body Balm - To keep their hands nice and moisturized after those frequent bathroom breaks.
- 16 oz Tumbler - Because the things you have in common include: how cold you think it is in the office, agreeing that Karen needs to stay in her lane, and your love for coffee/tea.
- Cold Brew Filter - Per our last email/bullet point, you both love coffee.
- Round Container with Removable Dividers - The chicest container for eating their lunch at their desk.
- Double or triple down on the beverage theme with loose leaf tea or coffee from your favorite organic, fair trade brand.
- Or a coffee subscription like Bean Box, which uses all PNW roasters or Driftaway that uses compostable packaging and carbon offsets 100% of their emissions.
For the Outdoorsy Ones Who Never Take Off Their Puffies
- Insect Repellent - Because you know there are bugs out there.
- Castile Hand Wash - Bring the smell of the wildflowers and fresh alpine forests into their homes with National Park-scented liquid soap!
- Stainless Steel Bowls, Plates, Cups, Mugs, and Utensils - Perfect for car camping and social distance picnics alike!
- Good Intent Water Bottle - So they can rep the low waste lifestyle on all those hikes!
- National Parks Pass - Give them a year of access to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites!
- Or plant-based, gluten-free, and 100% delicious adventure meals from Fernweh Foods for their next trip.
Last Minute Ideas Anyone Would Be Lucky to Receive
- Tickets to a virtual concert or performance like via the Kennedy Center or Bandcamp or a gift certificate to their favorite local venue (even if it’s just for the bar outside the theater).
- A gift subscription to an education app or service like Blinkist, Skillshare, MasterClass, or EdX.
- A wellness-centered app or subscription like Headspace or Talkspace.
- A streaming service subscription that they don’t already have, but wish they did (or keep using for login for) like Disney+ or HBOMax.
- Get them a plot in a community garden or a subscription for compost drop off.
- A gift certificate to their favorite local gym or yoga studio or a membership on ClassPass.
- Gift card to Kiva, which allows them to choose a small business in a developing country that they can support through micro-loans.
- Or donate to a charity serving a cause close to their heart!